Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Honor

I turned on the tube this morning as I was putting my work boots so I could leave for work. I only turned it on for a couple of minutes to catch the weather. The national news was on and they were reporting on a Memorial Day event in California. There is a national cemetery in southern California where servicemen have been buried for decades. For Memorial Day they read each one of the names of the service men and women buried there. This went on for 24 hours a day for 8 days. There are thousands that gave their lives for our country buried there. The reporter was interviewing a woman that was one of the volunteers that read the names. Her husband had been in the Korean War and had past away a few years ago. She had the privilege of reading his name along with many others. The reporter made this statement; "It must have been a honor to read his name." Her answer surprised me. She said "It was an honor for him." Wow what a loving response. I excepted her to say something like "Yes it was a honor for me." But she said that it was a honor for her husband.

I think some times I try to do good things for people or do the right things. And I feel good about it and I feel that it's an honor for me to serve or help out. What I need to remember is that the good I do is a honor for Him, Jesus.

No comments: