Sunday, January 4, 2009

Had to get away




I try to get away from it all 3 to 4 times a year to think, reflect, and talk with God, yesterday was one of those days. The last time I did this was in August, I went to the lighthouse at Michigan City on Lake Michigan. This time I went to Warren Dunes State Park in Sawyer Michigan (one of several places I like to go). Now going to the beach in January may sound a little odd but it's the best place to be alone. In the summer this place is visited by thousands of people everyday, but yesterday it was me and two other cars. One of the features of the park is Tower Hill, a 240 ft high sand dune that seems to rise straight up from the beach. I climbed to the top and looked out over Lake Michigan. From up there it seemed like I was on top of the world, a little closer to God. It was quiet, peaceful, only the sound of the wind and my out-of-shape heart jumping out of my chest. Here I was all alone, just me and God. I sat on a fallen tree, just sat there for a long time, letting my mind wonder, clearing my thoughts. I prayed, talked with God and read from the Bible. I turned to James Chapter one, I find this chapter to always be encouraging because it talks about patience, perseverance,wisdom and believing. But this time I read Chapter 2 also, and low and behold this is what I needed to read. Man God is great!

James 2:14-24

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

If faith without actions is useless then actions without faith must be useless too. Now I'm not thinking about jumping of a bridge because I have faith, but I need to have more faith with the actions I do take. I get so caught up in complaining about the way things are that I forget that God has great plans for me. If I really want things to change then I need to take some faith filled action so God can fulfill His plans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you ever want to make it a couple of guys getting away, call me! The trails at Potato Creek make a good walk, even in the winter.