Sunday, December 28, 2008

How willing am I to share my faith?

I was reading Mark Collier's blog this morning, he's the Associate Pastor at Destiny Church in Tulsa OK. I met him and his brother a couple of years ago when they made a visit to GCC to check out the weekend services. I've been checking his blog from time to time and he always has great stuff on there. When I first saw this link with Penn from Penn and Teller I didn't really think much of it, but something told me to watch it so I did.

Please watch this clip before reading on.

">

Here's the thing, am I as willing to share my faith with a stranger as the guy he's talking about? I have to honestly say no. Why? If my mission is to help people find their potential and purpose in life then why am I so willing to keep the word to myself? Could it be because I'm afraid to come of as the guy standing on the street corner handing out tracks and yelling on a bull horn? If I'm holding the way to eternal life in my hands and don't share it, is that any better than scaring people with damnation? What do I need to do? I need to be as genuine and honest as the man he's talking about. Maybe handing out Bibles is a little much but the respectful way that he approached Penn speaks volumes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw this video on Sam Barrington's blog. My feelings were the same as yours. I've spent some time thinking about it since though. We have doors that open for us to share our faith. Our personality (our SHAPE to use current faith speak) will determine what that door looks like and how we should respond. We should never shrink back, but our response (and opportunity) will be unique because we are unique.

I have great admiration for what that man did and the response he triggered. But I am not that man - the opportunities God places before me may never look exactly like that. What matters is what I do with the ones He does send my way.

BTW- Thanks for the gift. I am using it!