Friday, April 23, 2010

What should I do?

What if you were out for your early morning walk or run in the park and noticed that someone had wrapped all the swings around the top bar of a popular swing set? It's too high for children to reach or even most mothers for that matter. You're on a tight schedule and have to be somewhere right after your run.

Or what if your walking through church before service and you notice that someone has dropped a gum wrapper on the floor?

Or what if you find out, a woman you have never met, who lives down the street has been diagnosed with cancer. Her husband has been laid off, and her job is their only source of income. She will need surgery and chemotherapy. They have 4 children all under the age of 12.

What should I do?

I have to ask myself this question hundreds of times a day. The choices I make can make a difference in someone's life. Do I continue on my run, or do I stop and get the swings down so the kids can play? Do I step over the gum wrapper, or do I pick it up so that the church is clean for a newcomer? Do I drive by my neighbor's house and shake my head with pity, or do I get some of the other neighbors together and cook meals for these people in need?

The answer should be easy but it's not. I'm running late, someone else will pick it up, wow that is so sad, these are excuses that pass through my head all the time.

What would happen if I did get the swings down, pick up the wrapper, and get the neighborhood to help out?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are some powerful questions & comments. What really would I do? I would pick up the gum wrapper, probably couldn't get the swings down as I am short, as for the neighbors..my first thought would be to be very sorry for them. But the thought that you have given has made me think that the right thing to do would be to go to them, introduce myself & help them out in anyway possible. I have had people come to my aid in times of trouble (both people I know & don't know). I can in turn return that love & thoughfulness that was given to me to someone else in need.