Monday, September 29, 2008

Bassman

I started playing music in the 5th grade in beginning band. I played trumpet. As I went through school I moved over to the tuba. I played the tuba in the marching band in high school for a couple of years. But I always wanted to play Bass Guitar. On February 10 1975 I bought a brand new Fender Precision Bass (pictured below) and a small amp. My dad loaned me the money and I got a part time job to pay him back. I got together with some guys from school and we formed a band. We would play at mostly kegger parties. I played in several bands until around 1989. Playing in bars and the heavy drinking got to be to much. When my first son was born I just stopped playing.



Fast forward to July 2004. It was my Dad's 70th birthday and we had a huge party for him. My younger brother Keith plays guitar and my Dad plays sax. So we decided to get together and play a few songs. Our cousin Charles is a drummer so we had a complete band. That was the first time we had ever played together as a family. Everyone really enjoyed the music and we had a great time. Shortly after that Keith asked if I wanted to get a band together and play a few gigs around to make a few bucks. We've been playing at biker bars and events since then. It's fun and we make a little money.



About six months after we got the band together I started going to GCC. The first time I went there I knew I needed to be a part of the worship team. I auditioned and was asked to join the team.



Here's the cool thing. After not even touching a bass in over 15 years God had a plan for me. Since I started playing again I've played the past 3 Christmas Eve Services which averaged around 11,000 people each, 2 Easter Services with a similar attendance. Over 40 weekend services averaging 6000 per weekend, Hundreds of Church leaders and Pastors at the Innovate Conferences, hundreds of children in the children's ministry, and several hundred bikers in the bars and kegger parties.



When I was a kid I had dreams of playing for thousands of people. By the grace of God now I do.


Photo from Summer's End Biker Fest 2007 Bristol IN

1 comment:

Terry Ingle said...

God has also used ou to inspire me to start playing again. Even though I still choose to play at a limited capacity, I enjoy it and getting to play with guys like you makes it even more worthwhile. I love you Brother.