Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Alone Time With God

I had the day off today and spent the morning alone with God at Potato Creek State Park near North Liberty In. I try to get away once every three or four months, but it's been since last September. My normal routine in the morning is reading the Bible, a devotional and praying. But sometimes I just need to be alone. REALLY alone! Spud is one of a very few places I like to go to be alone. I really enjoy walking on trail #4, It goes through the woods, along the lake, and has some open meadow areas. About halfway around there is a bench, it's all by itself in a small clearing. Almost three years ago I sat on that bench and had a long talk with God. Today I did the same thing. It was so quite and peaceful. Three years ago I got a sign from God that showed me that everything was going to be alright. Today no sign, no apifiny, no obvious 2x4 to the head. But I just felt peaceful and content. Faith, courage, hope, love, understanding, wisdom, freedom, all these things are in my heart now that weren't back then.

I took a Bible and read passages about Freedom. I thought I'd share a couple with you.

James 1:22-25

22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

John 8:34-36

34Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great scriptures Bro. That whole 'slave to sin' thing is really debilitating. It just saps the spiritual stength right out of a person. I've been there...
Thanks for sharing, my friend.